Just Create as You are!
Never leave your dreams unfulfilled. To begin, pick one thing that’s important to you, set a specific goal for yourself, and get started today This is your race to run. It’s your goal to complete. It’s your answer to create. How your gift compares to someone else’s is not the point. The point is to fill the world with your work.
If what you complete doesn’t meet someone else’s expectations … it is no concern of yours. The way someone else perceives what you do is a result of their own experiences (which you can’t control), their own tastes and preferences (which you can’t predict), and their own expectations (which you don’t set). If your choices don’t match their expectations that is their concern, not yours.
Your concern is to do the work, not to judge it. Your concern is to fall in love with the process, not to grade the outcome. Keep your eyes on your own work.
How can we stay interested in the task at hand whenever we are bored, lose focus, willpower, lack passion or motivation?
- Practice every day: show up, work through the boredom, and embrace the daily practice that is required to achieve your goal. Stick to a schedule.
- Don’t let your emotions determine your actions:it’s the ability to do the work when it’s not easy that divides the top achievers from everyone else. Step up when it’s annoying, painful or draining.
- Work when work is not easy:this commitment to the process makes it possible to enjoy the end results.
- Let the results take care of themselves: fall in love with boredom, repetition, and the process.
Become A Pro
- Establish your purpose: decide what you want to be good at.
- Prepare a Schedule: set a schedule for actions that you can do.
- Stick to your schedule; start with a goal of one week.
Setting a schedule does not make you a professional. Following the schedule makes you one. For one week follow your schedule without letting life get in the way. Then start again. Enjoy the journey!
“There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open.”
By Martha Graham